Open Position: Manager of Development & Member Engagement
Reports Directly to: Director of Advancement
Status: Full Time
On January 1, 2017, Transit for Livable Communities and St. Paul Smart Trips joined forces as a merged nonprofit organization. Transit for Livable Communities and St. Paul Smart Trips share a deep commitment to expanding equitable, sustainable, and multimodal transportation options in Minnesota. Through advocacy, outreach, and innovative programming, our merged organization seeks to advance transit, bicycling, walking, and sharing across the Twin Cities region and beyond and to ensure underserved groups have a voice in transportation decision-making.
The Manager of Development and Member Engagement, working in close collaboration with both the Executive Director and Director of Advancement, leads the development and implementation of the merged organization’s fundraising plan, including support from foundations, corporations, individuals, and through contract work. In addition, this position oversees the member engagement activities of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Fund Development
- Develops and manages the annual fundraising plan and budget. Tracks and reports on contributed income by source.
- Oversees prospect research from foundations, government, individuals, corporations, and other sources. Cultivates relationships with funders. Oversees grant writing and reporting.
- Manages existing and new funding sources to meet the fundraising goals of organization.
- Develops and manages appeals for corporate and individual giving to meet annual fundraising goals, including donor cultivation. Manage events or other activities related to donor cultivation.
- Ensures that internal systems for donor tracking and engagement meet standards for confidentiality and promptness.
- Works closely with the Director of Finance and Administration and Office Manager to maintain accurate records.
- Prepares the Executive Director and Director of Advancement for effective individual and corporate fundraising activities and to nurture relationships with various funding sources.
- Works with the Board of Directors on development and donor engagement.
2. Member Engagement
- Develops, implements, and oversees the organization’s member engagement program.
- Leads the implementation of a plan to engage members with the goal of retaining current members, recruiting new members, and helping individuals and allied organizations successfully advocate for transportation options programs and pathways at the local, regional, and state level.
- Provides opportunities for members to impact the goals of the organization by coordinating opportunities for members to engage directly on issues.
3. Financial Responsibilities
- Adheres to departmental budget objectives.
- Maintains professional affiliations and enhances professional growth and development to keep current in the latest trends in fund development/member engagement. As necessary, attends professional meetings and seminars at the local, regional, or state level to keep abreast of happenings and developments in related matters.
- Carries out other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Executive Director.
- 5+ years of leadership experience in implementing and managing fund development initiatives.
- Exceptional communications skills, including highly effective writing skills.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and strategic thinking.
- Ability to contribute to a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated intercultural competency skills and experience in cross-cultural collaboration, including the ability to discuss individual and systemic inequity and its impact on this work.
- Existing understanding of walking, biking, and transit as modes of transportation, and sensitivity to the way transportation issues affect peoples’ lives and communities is desired.
- Previous nonprofit experience in a transportation-related area is a plus.
This position is housed at the Transit for Livable Communities-St. Paul Smart Trips office at University and Raymond Avenues in Saint Paul, Minnesota. METRO Green Line trains and Metro Transit bus routes 16, 63, 67, and 87 conveniently serve our location. Bike parking is available. Seasonally, a Nice Ride bike-sharing station is less than one block away.
Salary for this full-time position is commensurate with experience and competitive with similar nonprofits. Benefits package includes: health and dental insurance, retirement plan, paid time off, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, multimodal commuter benefits, and a flexible work environment.
Email one PDF document with cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The posting will remain open until filled. No phone calls or walk-ins please.